|| The Association for Defence of Azerbaijani Political Prisoners in Iran (ADAPP) supports the people of Iran who are now struggling against oppression. The current election crisis reflects the democratic urgings of the Iranian people.
ADAPP condemns the violence used after the election to crush this popular democratic surge. The videos of Basij militiamen firing upon innocent
The Association for Defence of Azerbaijani Political Prisoners in Iran (ADAPP) supports the people of Iran who are now struggling against oppression. The current election crisis reflects the democratic urgings of the Iranian people.
ADAPP condemns the violence used after the election to crush this popular democratic surge. The videos of Basij militiamen firing upon innocent civilians have deeply disturbed its members. ADAPP denounces the violence and it calls for the complete halt to the violent repression used by the Islamic Republic.
In May 2006, dozens were killed and scores were arrested after Azerbaijanis took to the streets to protest a cartoon published in a state-run newspaper that compared Azerbaijanis to cockroaches. Although the crackdown was brutal, much like the recent measures against the Iranian election protests, it received little to no attention from the international community. ADAPP understands the full potential of media coverage and asks that the international community continue its efforts to advance those who are demanding democracy and free speech in Iran.
Social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook have proven to be effective tools in reporting the atrocities committed by the Iranian government. ADAPP, however, urges caution in publishing reports from social networking media because it is believed that officials have infiltrated these sites and are making false reports.
For 3 years, ADAPP has maintained a close relationship with Azerbaijani rights groups in Iran and continues to maintain contacts with Iranian Azerbaijanis throughout Tabriz, Urmia, Ardabil and various other predominantly Azerbaijani cities. Since the beginning of the Iranian election protests on June 13, 2009, it has been in daily contact with Iranian Azerbaijanis.
After the election results were publicized, protests erupted in the cities of Tabriz and Urmia. During the demonstrations, eyewitnesses reported that 2 people were murdered in Urmia, Iran on June 13 and June 15. Eyewitnesses also reported that 3 were beaten to death in Tabriz during the June 15 protests.
Since June 15, however, Azerbaijanis have not organized into formal protests. Despite the various videos and reports that have emerged claiming recent riots in Tabriz, ADAPPâ€™s contacts have asserted that the predominantly-Azerbaijani cities in Iran have remained relatively quiet.
ADAPP offers its most heart-felt condolences to the families of the victims of the governmentâ€™s brutal crackdown. ADAPP supports Iranâ€™s shift toward democracy and asks that the government of Iran support the wishes of the Iranian people.
, Voice of a Nation
Related posts to this topic
- ===> Iran's Guardians Council confirms Ahmadinejad win, protesters shouting "Down wieth dictator"
- ===> Iranian police 'beat protesters'
- ===> Iran detains British embassy staff
- ===> Protesters attack Iranian embassy in Sweden
- ===> Obama condemns violence against Iran protesters
- ===> AZERIS CAUTIOUS ABOUT SUPPORTING NATIVE SON MOUSAVI IN TEHRAN POLITICAL FIGHT
- ===> Iran election annulment ruled out
- ===> Iranian politician calls for Moussavi's arrest
- ===> Iranian clerics seek supreme leader alternative
- ===> Mousavi defends 'right' to protest, after 17 die in Iran
- ===> Iran arrests Rafsanjani's familiy members following deadly protests
- ===> US urges Iran to end 'violence'
- ===> At least 19 dead in Iran unrest, hospital sources say
- ===> Musavi joins his supporters, "Down with Khamnei" being shouted
- ===> Police block protest site in Tehran, witness says
- ===> Will Musavi Challenge Iran's Supreme Leader?
- ===> Iran's supreme leader delivers crisis speech
- ===> Sima Didar, partner of Alireza Farshi is arrested
- ===> A big shift in "Color revolution", Green turns to Black and devids protesters
- ===> Monthly Report of Association for the Defense of Azerbaijabi Political Prisoners in Iran (ADAPP) â€“ May 2009
- ===> Wounded, damaged and bullets, attack to Tehran University (Photo)
- ===> Akbar Alami's apartment was attacked by armed men (Photo)
- ===> 'Shots fired' at Iran protest
- ===> Bloody protest in Tehran, clash with police, fire (Video)
- ===> Latest images of Tehran's protest (Photo)
- ===> Ahmadinejad hails election as protests grow
- ===> Another miracle from Fars rejime! Ahmadinejad 'leads Iran poll count'
- ===> Nations in Iran vote in tight presidential election
- ===> 2- A protest held in Tabriz demanding release of Azerbaijani nationalists (Video)
- ===> A protest held in Tabriz demanding release of Azerbaijani nationalists (Video)
- ===> A protest held in Tabriz demanding release of Azerbaijani nationalists (Photo)
- ===> Iran: Election amid repression of dissent and unrest
- ===> COMMUNICATION 1: AMBIGUOUS APPROACH OF IRANIAN AUTHORITIES TO Dr. Eâ€™LEMIâ€™S CANDITATURE TO IRANIAN PRESENTIAL ELECTIONS
- ===> Iranâ€™s presidential election amid unrest and ongoing human rights violations, Amnesty International
- ===> COMMUNICATION 1: CAMPAIGNING FOR HUMAN RIGHTS OF MR. FERSHI
- ===> GENERAL COMMUNÄ°CATÄ°ON 4: RACIAL INCITEMENTS IN IRAN AGAINST SOUTH AZERBAIJANIS
- ===> A seminar held in Stockholm in remembrance of 22 May uprising in Southern Azerbaijan (Photo)
- ===> Mohammad Khatami was shocked by protesters while giving speech to his followers (Video)
- ===> Students in Urmu: "No lefties, no rightis!, Ae are nationalists" (Video - Photo)
- ===> Khatami denied him involving in an insulting party, calling the video FAKE!
- ===> Students of Amir Kabir Uni. in Tehran protesting Khatami's insulting joke on Turks (Photo)
- ===> Mirhosein Musavi faces â€œGray Wolvesâ€ protesters in Urmu city (Photo)
- ===> Protesters in Tabriz say: "No to Mirhosein Musavi, No to Fars apartheid" (Video)
- ===> Protesters arrested, pepper gas used against people in Tabriz (Video â€“ Photo)
- ===> Paid supporters brought to Tabriz for Mirhosein Musavi (Photo â€“ Video)
- ===> Protesters in Ankara demanded Iran to end invasion of Southern Azerbaijan (Photo)
- ===> Video footage from demonstration in Tehran University by Turk students
- ===> Former minister of Khatamiâ€™s cabinet faced a protest in Khoy (Photo)
- ===> Protest in Tehran University condemning insult over Turks and Islam prophet by ex-President Khatami (Photo)
- ===> Mass protest in Ankara and Istanbul condemning Iraian pressur on Southern Azerbaijan (Photo)
- ===> Students of Islamic Open University of Urmu protesting (Photo)
- ===> Protest in front of Mirhoseyn Musavi's campaign center (Video)
- ===> First video footage of yesterdayâ€™s demonstration in Tabriz
- ===> "Family walk" in Tabriz turned to nationalists march
- ===> Iranian reformists injured protesters in Tabriz (Video - Photo)
- ===> Iran council approves main presidential candidates, Akbar Alami did not pass!
- ===> Photos and resolution of peaceful demonstration in London against BBC
Images may not be related to the post.